I have followed many online discussions about ELDS. Since they help with safety and compliance, they are a necessity for those in the trucking industry. If you are in the market for a new ELD or want to ensure that the one you have is still the best option, we have a list for you! We have combed through the trucking message boards to bring you this list of the top 3 most recommended ELDs for owner-operators.
What are ELDs?
Electronic logging devices or ELDs for trucking replace paper logbooks that drivers had previously used. They electronically record a driver’s Record of Duty Status (RODS) to track compliance with Hours of Service (HOS) requirements.
ELDs have been mandatory in trucks for several years due to a rule by the Federal Motor Carrier Safety Administration (FMCSA). Trucking companies that fail to comply with the ELD mandate could be penalized with fines, placed out of service, and CSA points added to their record. It is imperative to make sure you understand all of the possible hours of service violations you could potentially receive to ensure you stay compliant.
What to look for in an ELD
When you search for an ELD for your truck, it is a necessity that it is on the FMCSA’s list of approved devices; if it is not, you could end up with substantial fines and penalties. There are many options to choose from, at different price points and with various features. It is essential to compare several options to find the right one for you. With that in mind, we have surveyed owner-operators to find out which ones they like best and why.
Below are 3 of the top ELDs for trucking according to owner-operators. All of them are FMCSA approved.
Keep Truckin ELD – Most recommended by owner-operators
Keep Truckin brings a mobile-first approach to improving the driver workflow and other digital tools to boost efficiency and safety. They do this with Smart Dashcams, GPS Tracking, and ELD Compliance. Keep Truckin helps companies of all sizes drive their fleets forward.
- Sends alerts for HOS violations before they occur.
- Direct connection allowing you to stay compliant in remote areas with no cell reception.
- Wide variety of cable options allow it to connect to just about any vehicle.
- Easy to install with no mechanic required for installation.
- Automatically calculates the distance traveled and fuel purchased by jurisdiction.
- 24/7 technical support.
Plans start at $15 per month but depend on what services you include in your plan and how many trucks are in your fleet.
Blue Ink Technology’s BIT ELD is for today’s trucking professionals with a no monthly fee option to help users gain trust in the Blue Ink Tech platform. With their simple-to-use application, drivers can quickly get up to speed with the app’s interface to manage their logbooks for the FMCSA mandate. Users can add additional Blue Ink Tech products and services can to help drivers avoid situations that waste time and keep wheels from moving. Users can also add documents like fuel receipts and BOLs into the app. Blue Ink Tech’s platform helps small trucking companies grow into bigger trucking companies by helping to reduce downtime and maximize drive time.
- Connection via Bluetooth to a cell phone or tablet to provide required information about your vehicle.
- It is easily moved to any truck to make your whole fleet ELD ready.
- Fault codes are displayed in the app to alert drivers of vehicle issues.
- You can install in seconds with no tools required. Simply plug it into the cab’s 6-pin or 9-pin diagnostic port near the driver’s footwell.
ELD without additional features/services – $295.00
Monthly service plan – $30/month per truck
Annual service plan – $240/year per truck
Air scales – $150.00/sensor
Geotab securely connects commercial vehicles to the internet, providing advanced web-based analytics to manage your fleet better. Geotab’s open platform and Marketplace offer hundreds of third-party solution options, allowing small and large businesses to automate operations by integrating vehicle data with a company’s other data assets.
- Provides drivers with reminders to log in and out.
- Has real-time information on availability and alerts for when you are running low on hours of service.
- Provides detailed dashboard reports.
- Cross-border compliance for US and Canada.
- Supports co-drivers and team driving rulesets.
- Alerts when you run out of hours or miss a vehicle inspection
- All updates are automatic.
Plans start at $10 per month plus $75 to purchase the device for five vehicles or less.
Keep Truckin ELD continually appeared at the top of recommendations from owner-operators both due to its ease of use and its cost. However, everyone has different needs, and these other two options are excellent as well.